Google is proud to boast a network that provides service to millions of Internet users around the world. The Network Engineering team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. As a member of the team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues. Google’s complex network generates a constant stream of challenges which require you to continually be innovative with an evolving set of technologies. Keeping the network reliable ensures that our users stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
As a Metro Network Deployment Engineer, you will be on the front lines of our efforts to deploy and maintain private data networks worldwide. You will work with Network Architects and Engineers, Design Engineers, Infrastructure Engineers, Field Engineers, Strategic Negotiators and Technical Project Managers within Google, as well as construction and telecommunications vendors and contractors, all to position the metro for which you are assigned accountable for success. You will use your experience in optical transport, data centers, and colocation, as well as your familiarity with the local metropolitan areas to which you are accountable, to affect positive outcomes and facilitate faster better, and more efficient outcomes. Your team’s objective will be to build the world’s most reliable, cost-effective, and scalable optical transport network to support users globally.
- Work closely with project management, network engineering, and the rest of the engineering team to identify potential problems in network installations, including in the areas of facility power (AC/DC), cooling, security/access, rack layout, and cable management.
- Oversee installation technicians for rack, stack, and installation of networking equipment.
- Own network documentation, updating and maintaining network drawings and plans.
- Commission and test routers, optical transport equipment, and other network devices in new and existing network nodes across Google’s global network.
- Generate implementation plans and provide technical leadership and guidance during deployment activities.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience in telecommunications, OSP, ISP, AC/DC power systems, and relay rack/cabinet/cage construction.
- Experience with state and local regulatory, construction, and EHS standards, procedures, and permitting requirements.
- Experience working with local exchange carrier (LEC), telecom service providers, landlords, electricians, and construction operators.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline or equivalent practical experience.
Job Location: Mumbai, India